Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The art or practice of garden cultivation and management.with modifier ‘maize and manioc horticulture’
gardening, floriculture, arboriculture, agriculture, cultivation, cultivation of plants, garden managementView synonyms
- ‘During the decade and a half I lived in New England, my favorite hobby was horticulture.’
- ‘Finding alternatives to chemical pesticides in the home and garden and in farming and horticulture is one of the main themes of the meeting.’
- ‘Tom discovered a passion for gardening and gained an NVQ in horticulture.’
- ‘Even our resident neighbourhood expert, a woman with a degree in horticulture, was not very useful.’
- ‘I signed up for a Horticultural Science degree thinking it would be mostly horticulture.’
- ‘Will it help Kenya's 500,000 people employed in agriculture, horticulture and its ancillary industries?’
- ‘The time has come to encourage our farmers to diversify into areas such as horticulture, floriculture and oilseeds.’
- ‘His interest in gardening led him to study horticulture in both Hobart and Melbourne.’
- ‘The farmers in these areas continue to rely on agriculture rather than horticulture.’
- ‘To celebrate its bicentenary it has created seven historical gardens to show how horticulture has evolved over the last 200 years.’
- ‘A number of such biocontrol agents are available as commercial formulations for use in agriculture and horticulture.’
- ‘The show will also have sections for agriculture, horticulture, arts and crafts and cookery.’
- ‘Ms Collins has never been able to go into her garden, despite having an NVQ in horticulture.’
- ‘In horticulture, kiwifruit vines are trained onto pergola or T-bar support structures.’
- ‘Hom is very fond of English horticulture and commissioned an English landscape gardener to design his garden.’
- ‘There is now also plenty of planting land available for the students to learn new skills in horticulture and hard landscaping.’
- ‘Jute has become invaluable, even in areas such as horticulture and gardening.’
- ‘Linn attended agricultural school and concentrated on the study of ornamental horticulture.’
- ‘Ornamental horticulture often plays an important role in the conservation of plant species.’
- ‘The Government must take immediate steps to protect wildlife on peat bogs and to signal an end to peat use in gardening and horticulture.’
Late 17th century: from Latin hortus ‘garden’, on the pattern of agriculture.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.