One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who regularly bets on horse races.
- ‘Paul Makin, the managing partner of the syndicate that owns Starcraft, made his fortune as a professional horseplayer on races in Hong Kong and Japan.’
- ‘We are confident that horseplayers and horsemen will both embrace the new technology that is available to them in our quickly evolving sport and business of horse racing.’
- ‘United States horseplayers wagered $2,566,213 on Dubai World Cup day in 2005, and $3,398,735 on the full Dubai Racing Carnival.’
- ‘Frankel sighed and glanced around at the crowded floor of horseplayers staring at monitors showing races from different tracks.’
- ‘I'm like the horseplayer who only bets on favorites.’
- ‘While the Woodbine Entertainment Group remains committed to providing horseplayers the opportunity to wager directly into United States pools, officials say the prospective change will likely not take place until deep into 2005.’
- ‘Efforts to turn slot machine players into horseplayers have been unsuccessful according to presenters at the gaming portion of the Symposium on Racing and Gaming on Tuesday in Tucson.’
- ‘Broun also discusses the ritual bus trips horseplayers would make to Bowie during the winter months when New York racing was dormant.’
- ‘This is a behind-the-scenes look at another world of racing -a view that the average horseplayer may be unaware of.’
- ‘‘I know we've lost a number of our horseplayers to the comfort of their own homes,’ Greco said.’
- ‘But the competition from Rockingham caused a shortage of horses as well as horseplayers and led Brockton Fair owners George and Chris Carney to shutter the track this season.’
- ‘Paying for parking, programs and putting up with exorbitant food prices are just a few of the burdens horseplayers must bear.’
- ‘Regional racing networks would allow serious horseplayers and existing fans - to which TVG does not necessarily cater - to access regional races and full card simulcasts of their choice.’
- ‘Forums for horsemen, track representatives, and horseplayers also will be conducted.’
- ‘Thalheimer acknowledged that slots are only the beginning, and they should be used as a way to convert bettors of that kind into horseplayers.’
- ‘We talk about this campaign being more about being a horseplayer than horse racing.’
- ‘Continuing to show a preference for out-of-state racing, Maryland horseplayers continued the trend of abandoning the local product in favor of simulcast wagering.’
- ‘If a horse works fast in the morning, he will usually take action on the tote board in the afternoon from the average horseplayer, who has little else to go on.’
- ‘The bigger players choose one or the other, which has led to the cannibalization of some of Canterbury's best horseplayers.’
- ‘Lanni agreed with the opinion that horseplayers and slot players are different breeds.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.