One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The flesh of a horse as food.
- ‘Meals at the camp are based on the traditional diet of pickled vegetables, cabbage, and goat and horse meat.’
- ‘Dutch legislation prohibited all manufacturers of meat products from having in stock or processing horsemeat.’
- ‘A while back, the American chain Ponderosa made headlines for daring to pass horse meat off to unsuspecting customers as steak.’
- ‘At his traditional food stand in the harborside flea market, one vendor said he is seeing a marked rise in sales of horsemeat.’
- ‘She made a shirt for his son, for which she was paid in horse meat.’
- ‘Sushi chefs are considering using raw deer and even horse meat because of an international shortage of tuna.’
- ‘The celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay was the target of a pungent protest against eating horse meat yesterday.’
- ‘By the 1920s, canned pet foods made primarily of horsemeat joined dry foods on store shelves.’
- ‘The sale of horsemeat was not actually forbidden in the Netherlands.’
- ‘Normally it would take a lot to persuade me to eat horse meat.’
- ‘You will be further pampered by the excellent food served here which include carp stewed in sweet soy sauce, herring and even horsemeat.’
- ‘One of three foreign-owned slaughterhouses in the United States, Cavel ships horse meat overseas for human consumption.’
- ‘The big news in Japan recently was ice-cream made from raw horse meat.’
- ‘We sat down to a dinner of bloodied horsemeat in silence.’
- ‘Despite its tender flavour, there has always something unsettling about a plate of steaming horse meat.’
- ‘Meat, most commonly mutton or horse meat, was boiled in a big cauldron.’
- ‘The horse meat was quite tasty too.’
- ‘This time however, the wording was changed to include selling horsemeat in the United States.’
- ‘During the summer their diet was principally horse meat.’
- ‘Fresh meat was their preference and horsemeat was the favourite.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.