One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large marine mussel which may occur in very large populations in food-rich waters.
Genus Modiolus, family Mytilidae
- ‘This particular horse mussel was collected from Evans Bay, Wellington, and is 30 cm long.’
- ‘The horse mussel is mostly found outside the tidal zones but still can be found within them.’
- ‘Although it was designated a marine reserve, the fishing went on and the horse mussels have since been destroyed.’
- ‘Sea anemones and horse mussels were everywhere.’
- ‘Once individuals reach 45-60 mm in length they become relatively immune to predation as only the very largest crabs and starfish can open horse mussels over 50 mm in length.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.