One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large marine mussel which may occur in very large populations in food-rich waters.
Genus Modiolus, family Mytilidae
- ‘Sea anemones and horse mussels were everywhere.’
- ‘This particular horse mussel was collected from Evans Bay, Wellington, and is 30 cm long.’
- ‘The horse mussel is mostly found outside the tidal zones but still can be found within them.’
- ‘Once individuals reach 45-60 mm in length they become relatively immune to predation as only the very largest crabs and starfish can open horse mussels over 50 mm in length.’
- ‘Although it was designated a marine reserve, the fishing went on and the horse mussels have since been destroyed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.