One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A horse thief.‘an organized gang of horse duffers was marauding in the region’
- ‘That's why there's never a cattle or horse duffer caught in these parts.’
- ‘He narrates happenings among horse-duffers in western New South Wales.’
- ‘An outlaw horse duffer like Jerry was often given refuge by some of the poorer emancipist squatters.’
- ‘He arrested a notorious horse-duffer at the Rankin River police station.’
- ‘He says you've hooked yourself up with a gang of horse-duffers.’
- ‘He was instructed to keep his eyes open for evidence of any cattle or horse duffers in his direction.’
- ‘This was a horse duffer's back route.’
- ‘He was king of the horse-duffers in the Kimberley Ranges at the turn of the century.’
Late 19th century: from duffer.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.