Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A submerged aquatic plant with narrow forked leaves that become translucent and horny as they age, occurring worldwide.
- ‘Be sure to include submergent plants such as common waterweed and hornwort for their high oxygen output.’
- ‘A widely held view places liverworts as the first branch of the land plant tree, whereas some studies suggest that hornworts are the earliest land plants, with mosses and liverworts jointly forming the second deepest lineage.’
- ‘Land plants are composed of four monophyletic groups: vascular plants, mosses, liverworts, and hornworts.’
- ‘Most importantly, the phylogenetic analysis results in a topology that places hornworts as a sister group to the vascular plants and mosses as the sister clade to the hornwort-tracheophyte group.’
- ‘Current analyses include only one sample per group from mosses, liverworts, and hornworts and lack a major lineage of land plants, lycophytes.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.