Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large wasp-like sawfly which deposits its eggs inside trees and timber. It has a long egg-laying tube but no sting.Also called woodwasp
- ‘In the home no control is necessary, as the horntails will not reinfest dried or seasoned wood or lumber.’
- ‘There, the infant ichneumon secretes a paralyzing agent while it proceeds to eat the living horntail from the inside out.’
- ‘It could have been a horntail, which is actually a sawfly.’
- ‘There are plenty of images of horntails on the Internet, but very few, if any, of the solid blue-black types.’
- ‘Two or more years are required for the horntails to complete their development.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.