One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘This touch-sensitive work consists of a series of horn-like spikes protruding from two circular discs that are hung on a wall like a painting.’
- ‘Its timbre is horn-like, but it has a restricted range - as few as five notes - and its notes aren't even of equal quality, so composers need to dance around its limitations with deftness.’
- ‘Gilmour has inherited Wes Montgomery's style of playing horn-like lines on the guitar.’
- ‘How cassowaries produce their deep ‘boom’ is unclear, though Mack and his team speculate that cassowary communication is linked to the tall casques, or horn-like crests, that rise from the bird's head.’
- ‘These included horn-like ear trumpets, which were made from wood, various metals, or even adapted conch shells, whose effectiveness in transmitting sound depended on their length and shape.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.