One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An American lizard that somewhat resembles a toad, with spiny skin and large spines on the head, typically occurring in dry open country.
Genus Phrynosoma, family Iguanidae: several speciesAlso called horned lizard
- ‘When Pete is turned into a horned toad by the Sirens, well, that's plain weird.’
- ‘One sketch was of a remote that looked like a horned toad.’
- ‘The invading ants typically wipe out many species of native insects and can cause food shortages for insect eaters, such as horned toads, and create crises for ant-dispersed plants.’
- ‘She ate the horned toad spitting blood into her eyes, the gila monster leaking venom through her veins, and the prickly pear shooting spears through her tongue.’
- ‘Head on down to the Reptile Depot for desert iguanas from Nevada or horned toads from Texas.’
2A large toad with horn-shaped projections of skin over the eyes.
a South American toad (Ceratophrys and other genera, family Leptodactylidae).
a SE Asian toad (Megophrys and other genera, family Peltobatidae).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.