One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A round bar fixed horizontally some distance above the ground on which a gymnast performs exercises.‘Wilson delighted home fans with a breathtaking display on the horizontal bar’
- ‘Our gymnasts did not manage to catch up with him on the horizontal bar.’
- ‘Soon the hard work was to start in earnest, and in three years, he became national champion on the horizontal bar.’
- ‘Back home, he was scarcely able to do a couple of chin ups on the horizontal bar.’
- ‘The cameramen turned to the horizontal bar and rings—where the rival gymnasts began their performances concurrently.’
- ‘He is especially good in the floor exercises, on the pommel horse, and on the horizontal bar.’
- ‘After the exercises on the horizontal bar, the team climbed to second place.’
- ‘When he came home, he got together with his friends and made a horizontal bar with rusty pipes.’
- ‘He got 9.5 in his favorite event: the horizontal bar.’
- ‘He carried the audience with his elegant performance on the horizontal bar and crowned his combination with a breathtaking dismount that earned him a standing ovation.’
- ‘It was a long way from the home-made horizontal bar to the Olympic Games.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.