One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A round bar fixed horizontally some distance above the ground on which a gymnast performs exercises.‘Wilson delighted home fans with a breathtaking display on the horizontal bar’
- ‘After the exercises on the horizontal bar, the team climbed to second place.’
- ‘When he came home, he got together with his friends and made a horizontal bar with rusty pipes.’
- ‘It was a long way from the home-made horizontal bar to the Olympic Games.’
- ‘Our gymnasts did not manage to catch up with him on the horizontal bar.’
- ‘He got 9.5 in his favorite event: the horizontal bar.’
- ‘The cameramen turned to the horizontal bar and rings—where the rival gymnasts began their performances concurrently.’
- ‘He carried the audience with his elegant performance on the horizontal bar and crowned his combination with a breathtaking dismount that earned him a standing ovation.’
- ‘He is especially good in the floor exercises, on the pommel horse, and on the horizontal bar.’
- ‘Back home, he was scarcely able to do a couple of chin ups on the horizontal bar.’
- ‘Soon the hard work was to start in earnest, and in three years, he became national champion on the horizontal bar.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.