One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A coarse clothing fabric of a loose plain weave.as modifier ‘casual hopsack trousers’
hessian, sacking, hopsacking, burlapView synonyms
- ‘The generality of tweeds, serges, hopsacks and crepons are 44 inches wide, therefore we will describe the making up of the skirt in material of that width.’
- ‘All the hopsacks I have seen feel too heavy for summer.’
- ‘Most papers are available in up to five colourways each and all are matched by co-ordinating hopsacks in plain colours.’
- ‘I wonder if that Golden Fleece hopsack blazer (that you saw) is identical to the hopsack blazers I saw a few years ago at the flagship, which I suspect is identical to the hopsacks I saw recently at a Brooks outlet store.’
- ‘Among the fabrics mentioned by Angelo Uslenghi in his Spring / Summer 2005 forecast developed for Moda In are satins, sateens, crêpes, piqués, seersuckers, crepons, voiles, georgettes, honeycombs, hopsacks, slubbed linens, jacquards and mesh.’
- ‘The woven fabrics used for sportswear tend to relatively simple, often plain weave, but ribs, cords, hopsacks, twills and satins may be useful for certain purposes.’
- ‘Feather finished hopsacks, calendered drill, sandblasted twill add to the fashion solutions offered by the ever-improving technical advancements of the textile industry.’
- ‘If the answer is yes, look for durable, tightly woven fabrics that are washable: such as canvas, twills, hopsacks or tightly woven jacquards.’
- 1.1count noun A coarse hemp sack used for hops.
- ‘Don't let me catch you with your head in the hopsacks!’
- ‘The closing campaign celebration was a ‘Senior Leader Triathlon’ where pairs of senior executives competed in a race involving hopsacks, tricycles and a three-legged race to the finish.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.