One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1North American A drug addict.
abuser, userView synonyms
- ‘The outside threat to the paper towel roll pipe proceedings gets us cheering for the hopheads, hoping that they defeat those who would harsh our buzz.’
- ‘As far as I know our inward mail has been lost only once - when the delivery postman was robbed in broad daylight and his mailbag stolen by hopheads.’
- ‘We looked on the hopheads, crooks and gunsels and on their bawdy ladies as members of a family among whom we were privileged to move.’
- ‘Our friend Lieutenant Doncaster looked at the two hopheads, looked at me and knew right away I wasn't the Knightmare.’
- ‘And these plays are not attended by dole scroungers, Trotskyites, hopheads or peaceniks, but by the decent ordinary people of Galway.’
2Australian NZ A heavy drinker.
drinker, serious drinker, hard drinker, problem drinker, alcoholicView synonyms
- ‘Grossman's Christmas present, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, is a holiday favorite among hopheads and is one of the standouts of The News Tribune's Brew Crew Winter Beer Tasting.’
- ‘Tröeg's newest brew, Nugget Nectar Ale, will take hopheads to nirvana with a heady collection of Nugget, Warrior and Tomahawk hops.’
- ‘This is one of my favorite beers - for true hopheads only.’
- ‘Could lupilin be responsible for the hordes of passionate hopheads that seek ever-higher levels of hops in their IPAs?’
- ‘It's brewed by hopheads for hopheads!’
- ‘Just like many homebrewers, the folks at Sierra Nevada are true hopheads, and no one has ever accused them of being stingy with the hops.’
- ‘Be sure to taste the offerings from Delaware's Dogfish Head; if Barmalops, the god of beer, favors us, Randall the Enamel Animal will make an appearance (hopheads take note)!’
- ‘This beer is a winner with beer aficionados, especially hopheads who appreciate a hoppy beer that has at least a semblance of balance.’
- ‘Originally brewed hoppier and heavier to preserve it on voyage from Great Britain to India, IPA met with favor among hopheads the world around.’
- ‘All the hopheads are going to go nuts for this one.’
- ‘I've heard that this stuff is incredible… at least for us hopheads.’
Early 20th century: from hop + head.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.