Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1North American A drug addict.
abuser, userView synonyms
- ‘The outside threat to the paper towel roll pipe proceedings gets us cheering for the hopheads, hoping that they defeat those who would harsh our buzz.’
- ‘And these plays are not attended by dole scroungers, Trotskyites, hopheads or peaceniks, but by the decent ordinary people of Galway.’
- ‘Our friend Lieutenant Doncaster looked at the two hopheads, looked at me and knew right away I wasn't the Knightmare.’
- ‘As far as I know our inward mail has been lost only once - when the delivery postman was robbed in broad daylight and his mailbag stolen by hopheads.’
- ‘We looked on the hopheads, crooks and gunsels and on their bawdy ladies as members of a family among whom we were privileged to move.’
2Australian NZ A heavy drinker.
drinker, serious drinker, hard drinker, problem drinker, alcoholicView synonyms
- ‘Grossman's Christmas present, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, is a holiday favorite among hopheads and is one of the standouts of The News Tribune's Brew Crew Winter Beer Tasting.’
- ‘This is one of my favorite beers - for true hopheads only.’
- ‘I've heard that this stuff is incredible… at least for us hopheads.’
- ‘All the hopheads are going to go nuts for this one.’
- ‘Tröeg's newest brew, Nugget Nectar Ale, will take hopheads to nirvana with a heady collection of Nugget, Warrior and Tomahawk hops.’
- ‘Originally brewed hoppier and heavier to preserve it on voyage from Great Britain to India, IPA met with favor among hopheads the world around.’
- ‘Could lupilin be responsible for the hordes of passionate hopheads that seek ever-higher levels of hops in their IPAs?’
- ‘This beer is a winner with beer aficionados, especially hopheads who appreciate a hoppy beer that has at least a semblance of balance.’
- ‘Just like many homebrewers, the folks at Sierra Nevada are true hopheads, and no one has ever accused them of being stingy with the hops.’
- ‘It's brewed by hopheads for hopheads!’
- ‘Be sure to taste the offerings from Delaware's Dogfish Head; if Barmalops, the god of beer, favors us, Randall the Enamel Animal will make an appearance (hopheads take note)!’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.