Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A basketball player.
- ‘There's no doubt that our preseason Player of the Year will be one of the hottest hoopsters to watch all season long.’
- ‘The fast break procession of big-time hoopsters completely overshadows the surprisingly feel-good storyline.’
- ‘Considering the past 15 years, the new crop of hoopsters has some mighty big sneakers to fill.’
- ‘The backboards came down five years ago, leaving local hoopsters to find another place to play.’
- ‘If you slept through last May, maybe you aren't aware that America's favorite thespian hoopster done grown into a gamebreaker.’
- ‘After a long strike, the pro hoopsters are finally back.’
- ‘But he didn't think playing in the late games was that bad of a drain on his fellow hoopsters.’
- ‘Illinois hoopster Luther Head was arrested earlier this month for running a stop sign.’
- ‘Savvy hoopsters take a deep breath, exhale, and immediately flip the ball into the net.’
- ‘In order to be a successful hoopster you have to be able to run and keep running for long periods of time.’
- ‘Being outscored, 8-5, in the second half, the Harrington-guided hoopsters concluded the contest with a 27-18 victory.’
- ‘Launching the Halls, Tennessee-based Cubby Bear Daycare Center, located just outside of Knoxville, was a natural for the hoopster.’
- ‘During an era when young hoopsters are taught big talent should come with a bigger ego, Greg Oden is so effusively humble it's unnerving.’
- ‘The hoopsters take a deep breath, exhale, and immediately flip the ball into the net.’
- ‘She's going to enjoy every ounce of her senior year, then see how she stacks up against the elite hoopsters in the nation.’
- ‘The garnet and blue clad hoopsters competed in four exhibition contests that season, winning each by a comfortable margin.’
- ‘His team, the Fighting Irish, are the No1 schoolboy squad in the nation, and the 6ft 8in James is the best teenage hoopster in the country.’
- ‘The constant danger, however, is of having writing and art created for a rarefied audience, art that never reaches playground hoopsters.’
- ‘The LSU Tigers even have a third-generation hoopster.’
- ‘Chiefs tight end and former Cal hoopster Tony Gonzalez made the first cut for the Miami Heat's summer camp team.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.