One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A wild or noisy party.
social gathering, gathering, social occasion, social event, social function, function, get-together, celebration, reunion, festivity, jamboree, reception, at-home, soirée, socialView synonyms
- ‘A good hooley and a couple of large bottles was his recipe for old age.’
- ‘Limerick is preparing to celebrate the occasion with a massive street hooley.’
- ‘There were also so few of us at the funeral (eight of us) that there was no hooley afterwards.’
- ‘But I have to say, things are changing in a couple of places where they now hold an infinitely more enjoyable street hooley instead.’
- ‘A few months later on June 21, at a mid-summer hooley in the Hawthorne Lounge, the four men stepped on the scales and it was announced that they had shed a total of 21 stone between them.’
- ‘The twins celebrated their 40th birthdays with a party and hooley at the Country Club, Hollybrook last week.’
- ‘On Sunday last great craic was had down at Conlon's Crossroads in Cullyhanna where there was a pre-match hooley.’
- ‘A large group of his family, relations and friends attended and the hooley continued right through to the early hours.’
- ‘The day finishes with dinner and a hooley in the Seven Oaks Hotel at 7.30 pm approximately.’
- ‘The night in question is Saturday, October 23 and if previous Barton events are anything to go by, then it's going to be one hell of a hooley.’
Late 19th century: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.