Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- variant spelling of hookey
(of a tune) having immediate appeal and easy to remember; catchy.‘a hooky bass line’
- ‘Like his best work, the songs are irresistibly hooky without being simplistic, though the first single is oddly the weakest tune of the bunch.’
- ‘The melodies here could hardly be called hooky or blatantly poppy, but they have a mantra-like quality that's infectious and slightly eerie.’
- ‘We write very hooky, accessible tunes; we are big fans of the pop song.’
- ‘Opener ‘Mornings Eleven’ starts with a hooky indie-pop riff and an impossibly catchy chorus.’
- ‘I found those songs kinda catchy and hooky and it made an enormous impact on me.’
- ‘They make music that's fun and fresh, adding urban beats and hooky riffs to catchy rhythm lines and choruses that make you want to jump and shout.’
- ‘She's clearly found an appropriate songwriting partner with husband Bill Bell, and has enough hooky songs to counter her abundance of emotional ballads.’
- ‘Probably because they have been around for such a long time they have been able to hone their sound, smooth out the jagged edges in order to produce, insidious, hooky type pop tunes that lodge inside your brain.’
- ‘Earlier albums were often melodic yet somehow not catchy, but focused songwriting here makes the riffs memorably hooky.’
- ‘It's a fabulous record, from the string of catchy tracks that opens the album to the slower six-minute ‘Fountain Song’ and the barrage of hooky tunes composing the latter half of the disc.’
- ‘But it was Paul Weller's seductively hooky tune that propelled the record to the summit, and it was only when you listened carefully to the lyrics that you realised this was in fact a supremely angry protest song.’
- ‘Like their last album it takes a couple of listens before it really starts to appeal, as the songs aren't very hooky.’
- ‘If they had decided to break from tradition and round out their hooky gems with massive percussion to balance out the wall of sound, the album would be nearly perfect.’
- ‘The new songs have strong, hooky melodies, but very personal, intimate lyrics.’
- ‘Adams' melodic, hooky country-rock blends in nicely with the cool, sunny atmosphere of the island; it's really a great combination.’
- ‘Their set consisted of hooky pop gems that relied on guitar and punch for most of the power, and the mixture was a pleasing one.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.