One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Bait attached to a hook for fishing (as distinct from groundbait).
- ‘The carp, or other species then feed on the groundbait ball finding the hookbait in the process.’
- ‘Regular introductions of loose feed and regular casting to present the hookbait on the drop will bring more bites than infrequent feeding and leaving the tackle in the water.’
- ‘The fish are rarely to be found fighting among themselves to be first to your hookbait on days like this, but a careful approach with fine tackle and small baits will usually provide some action.’
- ‘The skill in feeder fishing lies in the fact that you have to be able to cast accurately and be a good judge of how often to cast, for casting not only delivers the hookbait to the swim but the free feed too.’
- ‘By keeping them in this way I have stored worms for several months and I've always got some hookbaits available whenever I need them.’
- ‘With a pole you can fish to the same place every time meaning your feed and hookbait can always be together, which means you will catch more fish, simple.’
- ‘Then after a reasonable period of time, say a couple of hours, retrieve your hookbait until it is near where you placed the next batch of offerings.’
- ‘Find a spot a few feet out from the bush and introduce a bed of particles with a few samples of hookbait over the top.’
- ‘After casting out with three pieces of corn on each, I catapulted half a large tin of corn around each hookbait and sat back as evening grew on.’
- ‘Fishing at 17 metres to the corner of the island he alternated bread and meat hookbaits for a fine mixed net that included carp to 8lb and 25lb of barbel.’
- ‘After a couple of hours I put a hookbait out and three times it actually took the bait.’
- ‘All you need then is a matchbox full of big maggots, solely for hookbaits.’
- ‘Short hooklinks ensure the hookbait is right in amongst the loose feed.’
- ‘I remember the first ploy I ever used to persuade carp to take my floating hookbait, which they were blatantly ignoring whilst mopping up the free offerings.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.