Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A twisting shot started with the player's back to the basket, and completed as they pivot round towards the basket.
- ‘His hook shot is nice, but he needs a better countermove.’
- ‘And that was Erick Dampier on the other end during the same game, backing in for a hook shot and even looking graceful as he made the shot.’
- ‘Just as in a hook shot in basketball, stiffening the wrist will control the ball and throwing softly helps as well.’
- ‘He missed an easy hook shot and his team lost the game.’
- ‘He has started to use his lefthanded hook shot more often.’
- ‘The image of Magic Johnson rolling across the lane and launching a hook shot over Boston's big three is one of the most famous in basketball history.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.