One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small metal hook and loop used together as a fastener on a garment.
fastener, fastening, catch, clasp, hasp, clip, pin, buckleView synonyms
- ‘And some of that underwear's awfully complicated with all the hooks and eyes.’
- ‘Other pages in your notebook can include: interfacings, stabilizers, elastics, buttons, snaps, hooks and eyes, rulers/measuring tools, pins and adhesives.’
- ‘Jack dressed her carefully, catching each hook and eye together, and then sweeping her hair into the clip, finishing it off with the veil.’
- ‘They were fastened down the front with buttons or with hooks and eyes.’
- ‘In winter months and at church services they wear a black coat which is typically fastened with hooks and eyes rather than with buttons.’
- ‘Large covered hooks and eyes are commonly used for fur garment closures.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.