Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for dripstone
- ‘There is a great variety of detail in such features as entrances, hood molds, cornices and porches.’
- ‘Over the front door is a semi-circular fanlight surrounded by a projecting hood mould with decoration.’
- ‘Its rather austere red brick facade is accented by limestone lintels and hood molds above the windows.’
- ‘Segmental arch hood moldings frame both the windows and the entrances of the house.’
- ‘A weathered stone just above the centre of the hood mould has the carved remains of a figure with hands on hips.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.