Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The killing of a relative, especially a girl or woman, who is perceived to have brought dishonour on the family.
- ‘Norma is funnelling most of the royalties from the book towards political efforts to make honor killing a serious crime punishable to the full extent of the law.’
- ‘He said he had never used the term "honour killing" and was keeping an open mind to all possible motives.’
- ‘Her death prompted speculation she may have been the victim of a so-called " honour killing ".’
- ‘Honour killings are very prevalent there, and the news of an honour killing will spread through the country faster by gossip than by media.’
- ‘Following this "honor killing," the child was sent to an orphanage anyway.’
- ‘Her parents were arrested over the death amid speculation that Shafilea was the victim of an honour killing.’
- ‘A man accused of being involved in the "honour killing" of a young woman has been remanded in custody following a court appearance.’
- ‘The brother and 17-year-old cousin of a young Pakistani woman were jailed for life for her murder in a so-called honour killing.’
- ‘Forced marriage is very often at the heart of honour crime, according to the head of a national review of honour killing in Britain.’
- ‘She is now living in Australia, and is campaigning against the practice called ' honour killing '.’
- ‘A Scotland Yard investigation into the extent of honour killing in Britain has identified that forced marriage is very often at the heart of such crimes.’
- ‘A couple suspected of involvement in their daughter's possible ' honour killing ' will be questioned in public this week over the teenager's death.’
- ‘The incident is the fifth example of a so-called honour killing in Jordan this year.’
- ‘And near Atlanta, police say a father killed his daughter in what's commonly called an honor killing.’
- ‘She wanted out of an arranged marriage and now authorities say it was an "honor killing."’
- ‘And how common is "honor killing" in America?’
- ‘Queensland detectives want to question controversial author Norma Khouri over her claims a Jordanian woman was a victim of an honour killing.’
- ‘The decision of the parents not to report her missing immediately, however, ignited speculation that she may have been a victim of an honour killing.’
- ‘In a recent interview, the police chief running the inquiry said he had not ruled out the possibility of an " honour killing ".’
- ‘They have not ruled out the possibility that she was the victim of a so-called honour killing because she had refused to consent to a marriage.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.