Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘it wouldn't interest you, hon’short for honey (as a form of address)
- ‘The world does not revolve around you, hon, despite what you think.’
- ‘‘I don't know what's going to happen, either, hon,’ she stroked Nile's head.’
- ‘Forget being skinny; put on a bit of weight, hon.’
- ‘He's working in the barn right now, hon, but I can have him call you right back.’
- ‘‘Bye hon,’ she said as she turned and walked up to her pew.’
- ‘This is what comedy is, hon, making fun of other people; it's the responsibility of people in a comedy to fire back.’
- ‘And as we got off the phone I said, ‘I love you, Dad,’ and he said, ‘I love you too, hon.’’
- ‘Avery pretended to think for a moment, ‘You know, hon, I don't think I remember making that deal.’’
- ‘‘Don't forget, hon, you aren't King here,’ I said cheerfully.’
- ‘Memo to Angie: Why are you holding back, hon?’
- ‘This is invasive surgery… and it's not a walk in the park, hon.’
- ‘She took a few steps toward the door and twirled around to say, ‘See you around, hon!’’
- ‘She laughed and, looking over at Brian, said, ‘Have a good time, hon.’’
- ‘When Aunt Jean said, ‘Go ahead, hon,’ she tore into the present like a dog into meat.’
- ‘I'd also love to meet this boyfriend of yours, hon.’
- ‘‘Time to go, hon,’ Mattie's voice was quiet and coaxing - the same tone most people use with small children.’
- ‘Hmm… I'm thinking about the chocolate brownie with vanilla ice cream, what do you think hon?’
- ‘We won't wait forever to have that done, will we, hon?’
- ‘‘'We're only about twenty minutes away, hon,’ Uncle Sam said to Noella when she stretched in her seat.’
- ‘‘You just keep on trying to convince yourself of that, hon,’ came Lisa's voice from the front door.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.