Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An individual having two identical alleles of a particular gene or genes and so breeding true for the corresponding characteristic.Compare with heterozygote
- ‘Expression in heterozygotes and homozygotes is apparently identical.’
- ‘For example, in inbred populations there may be very few heterozygotes but several different homozygotes.’
- ‘Similarly, inbreeding decreases the effective size of selection but unmasks deleterious alleles in homozygotes.’
- ‘The eye color of homozygotes and heterozygotes was compared in flies of the same age and sex.’
- ‘This is because inbred individuals are more likely to express deleterious alleles as homozygotes than are outbreds.’
- ‘Instead, they are directly related to the allele frequency of the homozygote tested and the sample size.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.