One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An individual having two identical alleles of a particular gene or genes and so breeding true for the corresponding characteristic.Compare with heterozygote
- ‘Instead, they are directly related to the allele frequency of the homozygote tested and the sample size.’
- ‘Similarly, inbreeding decreases the effective size of selection but unmasks deleterious alleles in homozygotes.’
- ‘The eye color of homozygotes and heterozygotes was compared in flies of the same age and sex.’
- ‘This is because inbred individuals are more likely to express deleterious alleles as homozygotes than are outbreds.’
- ‘For example, in inbred populations there may be very few heterozygotes but several different homozygotes.’
- ‘Expression in heterozygotes and homozygotes is apparently identical.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.