One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bug of the group Homoptera.
- ‘Benefit to homopterans is tested by manipulating the presence or abundance of ants, and the density of predators is compared between treatment and control groups.’
- ‘One of the first field experiments to detect adaptive population structure was conducted with Nuculaspis californica, a highly sessile homopteran scale insect that displayed local adaptation to individual ponderosa pine trees.’
- ‘At least one study has shown that leaf-chewing insects took longer to recover from defaunation than did other more mobile taxonomic groups, such as homopterans.’
- ‘Other studies have shown a similar association between ant tending level and homopteran survivorship.’
- ‘More than half of the arthropods were spiders, followed by coleopterans, orthopterans, and homopterans.’
- ‘Other tended homopterans consisted of a small colony of aphids feeding on P. tremuloides (aphids were removed prior to the experiment).’
Relating to or denoting homopterans.
- ‘The recognition of homopterans by tending ants is critical in ant/homopteran trophobiosis.’
- ‘Associations of Hymenoptera with Homoptera have intrigued ecologists and evolutionary biologists as model systems of mutualism.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.