One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having or showing a dislike of or prejudice against homosexual people.‘homophobic remarks’
- ‘The book doesn't hide behind a mantle of political correctness but challenges a range of homophobic attitudes, from repulsion and pity to tolerance and acceptance.’
- ‘He drew the ire of a gay rights group that has previously defended the actor when he was accused of homophobic language.’
- ‘Two aides have been arrested in connection with a serious homophobic assault on a gay policy adviser.’
- ‘The children's secretary published guidance earlier this month designed to clamp down on homophobic bullying.’
- ‘The group was set up to directly address the issue of homophobic crime.’
- ‘Many gay people do not report 'low level' homophobic attacks because they think nothing will be done.’
- ‘Some protesters were even being accused of using racist and homophobic slurs against some lawmakers.’
- ‘The program runs a helpline for victims of homophobic abuse.’
- ‘As protesters with rainbow flags mourned the victims and condemned the homophobic sentiment assumed to be behind the attack, police hunted for the assailant.’
- ‘He was arrested for making homophobic remarks after he refused to pay an £80 fine.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.