One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Dislike of or prejudice against homosexual people.
prejudice, partiality, partisanship, favouritism, unfairness, one-sidednessView synonyms
- ‘Strategies to confront class inequality, sexism, racism and homophobia started to be discussed.’
- ‘Unfortunately, society as a whole is still homophobic and there is homophobia in the Church.’
- ‘She is hardly the first woman to battle sexism and homophobia in the ring.’
- ‘I wrote about coming out in the family and about the insidious homophobia of siblings.’
- ‘In other words, homophobia is to gays and lesbians what racism is to people of color.’
- ‘To purposefully remove such material from the syllabus can surely only lead to homophobia or ignorance in the minds of pupils?’
- ‘It's not subtly or covertly homophobic for a soap to have a gay character experience homophobia, is it?’
- ‘At the same time, I counted more casual/ clusmy homophobia in the American media than ever before.’
- ‘It was a time of rampant discrimination, racism, homophobia and sexism.’
- ‘I want to remind people that homophobia stills exist and that we still must watch out.’
- ‘While the police once raided gay clubs to arrest people, today they cruise them to encourage the reporting of homophobia.’
- ‘It remains true that homophobia should not be encouraged any more than any other phobia.’
- ‘The erosion of homophobia by degrees will take many decades more.’
- ‘I lost a career in law enforcement and later one in accounting due to homophobia.’
- ‘The conference discussed the impact of sexism, racism, homophobia and war on women.’
- ‘Acts of racism, homophobia, xenophobia or just plain discrimination happen all the time.’
- ‘The situation has changed a lot, but homophobia runs deep in this society.’
- ‘Though the film's homophobia, bullying and brutality are fictional, they resonate with truth.’
- ‘Many young people are taking an active role in fighting homophobia and intolerance.’
- ‘Along with the atrocity of holy wars, there are other questionable things such as sexism, racism and homophobia.’
1960s: from homosexual + -phobia.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.