One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A homologous thing.
counterpart, analogue, equivalent, likeness, correspondent, match, twin, duplicate, equal, coequal, mirrorView synonyms
- ‘It ensures proper chromosome segregation by forming a physical link between homologs during meiosis.’
- ‘During meiosis I, the replicated sister chromatids pair with their homologs but segregate as a single unit.’
- ‘The most important point is that this gene has no homologues in other organisms, making it an attractive drug target.’
- ‘Several studies show involvement of telomeres in the pairing of homologs during meiosis.’
- ‘We attempted to glean information about their functions by searching for possible homologs in other organisms.’
- ‘The distribution of homologues among different taxa is seen as a consequence of their phylogenetic relationship.’
Mid 19th century: from French, from Greek homologos (see homologous).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.