Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Inbreeding, especially as a result of isolation.
- ‘Animal and human studies have shown that individuals choose mates partly on the basis of similarity, a tendency referred to as homogamy.’
- ‘Another biological factor in mate choice is homogamy, the tendency for like to mate with like.’
- 1.1Marriage between people from similar sociological or educational backgrounds.Compare with heterogamy
- ‘In general, immigrant parents are anxious for their children to marry someone from their own ethnic and religious group, although ethnic homogamy has been decreasing among members of American-born generations.’
- ‘There is also a high level of religious homogamy.’
- ‘If we assume that there is homogamy, this would mean in our case that children of farmers are overrepresented in our sample and the children of unskilled workers are underrepresented.’
- ‘The increasing homogamy of sons and daughters of unskilled workers does not per se contradict the sexual revolution thesis.’
- ‘In a society that promotes homogamy, interracial couples often face overt and covert racism from society at large, as well as resistance to their unions by family and friends.’
- ‘This trend toward educational homogamy, or the tendency for men and women with similar educational achievement to marry each other, is not new, but it has seen slight increases over the past few decades.’
A state in which the flowers of a plant are all of one type (either hermaphrodite or of the same sex).Compare with heterogamy
The simultaneous ripening of the stamens and pistils of a flower, ensuring self-pollination.Compare with dichogamy
Late 19th century: from homo- ‘same’ + Greek gamos marriage.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.