Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An amino acid which occurs in the body as an intermediate in the metabolism of methionine and cysteine.
- ‘In some individuals, plasma levels of the amino acid homocysteine are abnormally high.’
- ‘Metabolism of homocysteine requires an adequate supply of folic acid.’
- ‘Levels of homocysteine, the amino acid linked to heart disease, are also higher in smokers.’
- ‘It also lowers the levels of amino acid homocysteine which, when found in high levels in the bloodstream, is linked to an increased risk of heart disease.’
- ‘Studies suggest that raised levels of the amino acid homocysteine are associated with reduced brain performance.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.