Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The primate species to which modern humans belong; humans regarded as a species.See also homo
- ‘It clearly belongs to our species Homo sapiens, but it defies attribution to a specific modern human group.’
- ‘Many millennia after this great migration out of Africa, archaic Homo evolved into modern Homo sapiens, who still later domesticated animals, perhaps in at least two separate episodes.’
- ‘Over the course of the next 20,000 years, Homo sapiens pushed other hominid species to extinction and established populations in Australia, Asia, and Europe.’
- ‘A glance at the fossil remains of these hominids shows that Neandertal bones are much more robust than those of modern Homo sapiens.’
- ‘Humanoid bones found near the camel's remains are thought to belong to modern man, Homo sapiens.’
- ‘At the most basic level a human can be defined as a person belonging to the Homo sapiens species.’
- ‘By about 25,000 years ago, the only hominid species that remained was Homo sapiens.’
- ‘Yet fossils alone do not provide clear answers to the question of whether the ancestors of all modern Homo sapiens comprised a single African population or an amalgamation of distinct archaic populations.’
- ‘One of the most fundamental characteristics of our species Homo sapiens is its unquenchable curiosity about the world around it, and about itself and its place in that world in particular.’
- ‘In the middle of this cave, resting on the ground, lay a nearly complete lower jaw that may represent the oldest known example of anatomically modern Homo sapiens in Europe.’
- ‘Our own species, Homo sapiens, probably evolved in Africa, but nobody really knows the details of where, when, or from whom.’
- ‘The Qafzeh Cave in Israel contains skeletal remains of modern Homo sapiens that are more than 90,000 years old, as well as more recent signs of human occupation.’
- ‘The scientists, DNA experts from Glagow University, have also discovered where the mysterious creature should go in the fossil record and the evolutionary chart of man and how it gave rise to modern humans, or Homo sapiens.’
- ‘Whether or not there is any truth in the legends, the creature would have lived at the same time as our own branch of the human family, Homo sapiens.’
- ‘The species to which you and all other living human beings on this planet belong is Homo sapiens.’
- ‘Scientists believe that one of these unnamed species evolved into Homo sapiens about 300,000 years ago.’
- ‘I've suffered much disappointment in my long life but have not yet lost all faith in the species Homo sapiens.’
- ‘This discovery bridges the gap between our earlier ancestors, Homo erectus, and modern humans, Homo sapiens.’
- ‘Skeletal remains have been instrumental in establishing the evolution of human ancestors in Africa, and they have also provided important information about the evolution of modern Homo sapiens.’
- ‘Crow suggests that speciation to modern Homo sapiens was accomplished by a change on the Y chromosome that increased brain lateralization and concomitant language skills among males.’
- 1.1A member of the Homo Sapiens species; a human being.‘a small barefoot Homo sapiens could have made the footprints’
- ‘We Homo sapiens are descended from bipedal primates - usually called hominids - that first appeared in Africa some 5 million years ago.’
Latin, literally wise man.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.