One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A single-storey semi-detached house.‘they purchased a homette by the sea’
- ‘This homette offers low-maintenance living.’
- ‘A homette can be connected to another by a common wall to the house, garage, or carport.’
- ‘Villa homes (originally called "Homettes"), on lots of 300 to 350 square metres, are required to be of an "early Australian" style.’
- ‘Prominent had been speculatively building 150 town-houses and "homettes" a year on inner-suburban land in Adelaide.’
- ‘195 homettes are being used this semester by returned servicemen enrolled at the college.’
1950s: from home + -ette.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.