Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(especially of food) such as would be made or provided at home; simple and unpretentious.
plain, unadorned, undecorated, unembellished, unornamented, without ornament, without ornamentation, unelaborate, unpretentious, unostentatious, unfussy, no-nonsense, basic, modest, unsophisticated, penny plain, without frills, honest, homely, homespun, everyday, workadayView synonyms
- ‘The resort includes a string of cabins, a bed-and-breakfast, and a restaurant, where Clark still holds court with her homestyle cooking.’
- ‘You could dine at the Old Shanghai Restaurant, known for its authentic looking decorations and the homestyle food that once prevailed in the narrow Shanghai alleys.’
- ‘The showers are an experience and it's best not to expect any homestyle comforts!’
- ‘Mei achieves an unusual balance between the over-sweetened Westernized cuisine we know and love, and the earthy, pungent flavours of homestyle Chinese cookery - a comfortable place between artsy and authentic.’
- ‘It is definitely homestyle, comfort-food-type eating, not the cutting-edge stuff, but I like it a lot.’
- ‘Although the food may not be as exquisite as that of larger restaurants, the homestyle flavour is certainly delicious.’
- ‘If you want to keep it simple, the standard two eggs and bacon, with homestyle potatoes, fruit, stewed apples, bread and coffee costs around five bucks.’
- ‘It trades itself on its simple, frills-free homestyle cooking - and it seems to be working.’
- ‘To accompany the wonderful soups, the restaurant also prepares some homestyle Korean dishes, plus some Shanghai and Hangzhou cuisine.’
- ‘Nevertheless it has attracted a faithful following of customers due to the very reasonable prices, fresh ingredients and mostly excellent homestyle cooking.’
- ‘I'm used to good old-fashioned homestyle Spanish cooking.’
- ‘When he passed away, his landlord, Lee Ping-tung, took over the establishment, and continues to offer the traditional homestyle Sha'anxi dishes.’
- ‘Italian food lovers can enjoy homestyle Italian cuisine, such as ravioli, deep-fried prawns, ox-tails with red wine sauce just to name a few.’
- ‘He does profound, unpretentious Italian homestyle cooking.’
- ‘The deluxe assortment brings a couple of irresistible, homestyle grape leaves stuffed with rice.’
- ‘While Stanley's Burgers and Marbles Restaurant have dramatically different facades, inside they share the secrets to a great burger: pure beef, freshly cooked, served on homestyle buns.’
- ‘Each breakfast comes with a small container of a homestyle jam that is deliciously addictive.’
- ‘This homestyle restaurant is the sort of place where you would want to relax with a date or group of friends.’
- ‘Central and South American restaurants abound, catering to a growing community that expects nothing short of authentic homestyle food at modest prices.’
- ‘Kasumi Sushi Bar at the Renaissance Yangtze Shanghai Hotel stands out among other hotel Japanese restaurants for its simpler set meals served in a compact, cozy homestyle ambiance.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.