One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounAustralian, North American
A building plot.
piece of ground, patch, area, location, parcel, tract, allotment, acreageView synonyms
- ‘I can't deny that the two blocks mentioned would make good homesites but it is definitely short-sighted of the Council to make a quick monetary gain at the expense of the community they supposedly represent.’
- ‘The developers plan to recoup most of the construction costs from the sale of the 300 homesites on the 360-acre property.’
- ‘Some developers try to squeeze in as many homesites as possible to maximize profits.’
- ‘Entry-level price for a must-have homesite is $2 million.’
- ‘The Hearst Corporation retains the right to develop a boutique luxury hotel and 27 owner homesites across the ranch.’
- ‘In the meantime, the need for large homesites spread over vast tracts of land prevails, because people are too self-centred to think of protecting the environment.’
- ‘Nearly every homesite borders natural open space or desert.’
- ‘In 1919 the U.S. Forest Service hired a young landscape architect, Arthur H. Carhart, and told him to do a survey for a road around the lake and several homesites on the lakeshore.’
- ‘Single-site homesites usually offer larger tracts of land, more privacy and the opportunity to express individuality in the home's exterior, without having to submit plans for community approval.’
- ‘Since some of these sites have now been developed as homesites, they still pose a health risk to city dwellers.’
- ‘A spot overlooking the French Broad River, he thought, might make a good homesite.’
- ‘The original plan had 100 homesites on 130 acres and included areas for commercial lots and a future fixed-base operation.’
- ‘Do they believe that offices, stores, and schools will scale themselves down and intersperse themselves nicely among these 5-acre homesites?’
- ‘He has a new career in front of the camera - telling cable TV viewers to join him in buying cheap homesites in California and Florida.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.