One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Even the most gifted person occasionally makes mistakes.
- ‘I'd comfort myself with our old prep school saying, quandoque bonus dormitat Homerus, ‘even the worthy Homer sometimes nods.’’
- ‘Yes, it was created by top, well loved developers but even Homer sometimes nods, and he has here.’
- ‘If any such thing should occur, I can only plead, in the words of Horace, that ‘good Homer sometimes nods’, or, as the bishop put it, ‘Not even the youngest curate in my diocese is infallible.’’
- ‘Perhaps, endowed as he was with such excellent powers of perception, he should have sensed the presence of an enemy; but ‘even the worthy Homer sometimes nods’.’
- ‘As a result, I have tended to steer clear of the play, thinking that, if Homer sometimes nods (as the old saying has it), then here at any rate, Shakespeare was deeply asleep!’
- ‘It serves no useful purpose for the writer to remind himself that ‘even Homer sometimes nods.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.