One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The tendency towards a relatively stable equilibrium between interdependent elements, especially as maintained by physiological processes.
- ‘These events undermine metabolic homeostasis, but may not directly lead to overt diabetes in the early stage.’
- ‘However, hormones that regulate physiological homeostasis in adults may be diluted, up to six-fold.’
- ‘This is one possible reason for the elaborate system cells have evolved to maintain cholesterol homeostasis.’
- ‘Tissue homeostasis depends not only on the rate of cell proliferation, but also on the rate of cell death.’
- ‘Glucose homoeostasis seems to be excellent after pancreatic transplantation.’
1920s: modern Latin, from Greek homoios ‘like’ + -stasis.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.