Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The tendency towards a relatively stable equilibrium between interdependent elements, especially as maintained by physiological processes.
- ‘However, hormones that regulate physiological homeostasis in adults may be diluted, up to six-fold.’
- ‘This is one possible reason for the elaborate system cells have evolved to maintain cholesterol homeostasis.’
- ‘Tissue homeostasis depends not only on the rate of cell proliferation, but also on the rate of cell death.’
- ‘These events undermine metabolic homeostasis, but may not directly lead to overt diabetes in the early stage.’
- ‘Glucose homoeostasis seems to be excellent after pancreatic transplantation.’
1920s: modern Latin, from Greek homoios like + -stasis.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.