Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a class of closely similar sequences which occur in various genes and are involved in regulating embryonic development in a wide range of species.[as modifier] ‘homeobox gene’
- ‘Black vertical lines indicate the typical homeobox gene family and gray vertical lines the atypical homeobox gene family.’
- ‘He and his group have discovered the homeobox, a DNA segment characteristic for homeotic genes which is not only present in arthropods and their ancestors, but also in vertebrates up to man.’
- ‘A homeobox gene involved in setting up the mammalian body plan also appears to control grooming behavior in mice.’
- ‘Because of their fundamental importance in development, homeobox genes are of substantial interest to evolutionary biologists as they may provide key information on the evolution of development.’
- ‘Comparisons of the roles of homeobox genes in metazoan development are playing a pivotal role in the current resynthesis of developmental and evolutionary biology.’
1980s: from homeotic (see homeosis) + the noun box; first discovered in homeotic genes of Drosophila fruit flies.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.