One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person, especially a woman, who manages a home.
- ‘His father worked at a rubber factory and his mother was a homemaker.’
- ‘She has a home help 15 hours a week to assist with some of the everyday jobs that most homemakers do without a thought, like making the beds and clearing the breakfast table.’
- ‘In contrast, his wife is an unappreciated homemaker that longs for her husband's affection.’
- ‘She wrote many cookbooks, teaching homemakers cooking skills, recipes and the fun of family cooking.’
- ‘For example, men with working mothers expected to put 12 hours more a week into child care than the sons of homemakers.’
- ‘I'm a homemaker and I also own and operate a small business from my home.’
- ‘Mrs. Wen gave up her professional job and became a full-time homemaker.’
- ‘We encourage high school and college students, homemakers, and working professionals to get involved.’
- ‘I know plenty of intellectual men who marry secretaries or women who just want to be homemakers.’
- ‘Homework has also permitted women homemakers to combine housekeeping, cooking, and child rearing with wage-earning activities.’
- ‘The study found working mothers gave their children more fruit and vegetables than full-time homemakers.’
- ‘The panel was an interesting mix of college students, government officers, lawyers, and homemakers.’
- ‘Most of my students are office workers, or writers, or homemakers.’
- ‘A group of Japanese homemakers approached a local farmer with the idea of making a financial commitment to the farm in exchange for fruits and vegetables grown just the way they liked.’
- ‘They may be stockbrokers or homemakers or public school English teachers, artists, doctors, scientists or whatever.’
- ‘His father Gene was an electrician, and his mother Rita was a homemaker.’
- ‘Women are expected to be skilful homemakers, not professionals.’
- ‘We are a group of ordinary people - professionals, homemakers, students and retirees - joined by a common concern for our environment.’
- ‘I really like being home and being a homemaker and being with our family and friends.’
- ‘The men of my extended family were all corporate executives and the women were all homemakers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.