One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person, especially a woman, who manages a home.
- ‘Most of my students are office workers, or writers, or homemakers.’
- ‘We are a group of ordinary people - professionals, homemakers, students and retirees - joined by a common concern for our environment.’
- ‘We encourage high school and college students, homemakers, and working professionals to get involved.’
- ‘I really like being home and being a homemaker and being with our family and friends.’
- ‘The panel was an interesting mix of college students, government officers, lawyers, and homemakers.’
- ‘For example, men with working mothers expected to put 12 hours more a week into child care than the sons of homemakers.’
- ‘In contrast, his wife is an unappreciated homemaker that longs for her husband's affection.’
- ‘The men of my extended family were all corporate executives and the women were all homemakers.’
- ‘Homework has also permitted women homemakers to combine housekeeping, cooking, and child rearing with wage-earning activities.’
- ‘Women are expected to be skilful homemakers, not professionals.’
- ‘I know plenty of intellectual men who marry secretaries or women who just want to be homemakers.’
- ‘A group of Japanese homemakers approached a local farmer with the idea of making a financial commitment to the farm in exchange for fruits and vegetables grown just the way they liked.’
- ‘His father worked at a rubber factory and his mother was a homemaker.’
- ‘The study found working mothers gave their children more fruit and vegetables than full-time homemakers.’
- ‘I'm a homemaker and I also own and operate a small business from my home.’
- ‘They may be stockbrokers or homemakers or public school English teachers, artists, doctors, scientists or whatever.’
- ‘Mrs. Wen gave up her professional job and became a full-time homemaker.’
- ‘She wrote many cookbooks, teaching homemakers cooking skills, recipes and the fun of family cooking.’
- ‘His father Gene was an electrician, and his mother Rita was a homemaker.’
- ‘She has a home help 15 hours a week to assist with some of the everyday jobs that most homemakers do without a thought, like making the beds and clearing the breakfast table.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.