One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sports team that is playing at its own ground.‘the home side failed to make the scoreline secure’
- ‘A second consecutive defeat has severely dented Oxford's promotion hopes, despite the home side's scoring an early goal.’
- ‘She was rooting for her home team all the way.’
- ‘With the strong, vocal crowd cheering their team on, the home side should finish the weekend satisfied.’
- ‘He popped up just in time to spare the blushes of the floundering home side.’
- ‘Now you know why the home team wears the white jersey.’
- ‘The home team led by just one goal at the short whistle.’
- ‘Batting last allows the home team in the final inning to know precisely what to aim for.’
- ‘He was superb, netting all three goals for the home side.’
- ‘In the second half, focus switched to the home side's defence.’
- ‘He successfully kicked a penalty from in front of the posts in the last minute to deliver the home side the win.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.