One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sports team that is playing at its own ground.‘the home side failed to make the scoreline secure’
- ‘He successfully kicked a penalty from in front of the posts in the last minute to deliver the home side the win.’
- ‘He popped up just in time to spare the blushes of the floundering home side.’
- ‘A second consecutive defeat has severely dented Oxford's promotion hopes, despite the home side's scoring an early goal.’
- ‘Now you know why the home team wears the white jersey.’
- ‘The home team led by just one goal at the short whistle.’
- ‘She was rooting for her home team all the way.’
- ‘He was superb, netting all three goals for the home side.’
- ‘Batting last allows the home team in the final inning to know precisely what to aim for.’
- ‘In the second half, focus switched to the home side's defence.’
- ‘With the strong, vocal crowd cheering their team on, the home side should finish the weekend satisfied.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.