One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sports team that is playing at its own ground.‘the home side failed to make the scoreline secure’
- ‘The home team led by just one goal at the short whistle.’
- ‘Now you know why the home team wears the white jersey.’
- ‘Batting last allows the home team in the final inning to know precisely what to aim for.’
- ‘He successfully kicked a penalty from in front of the posts in the last minute to deliver the home side the win.’
- ‘With the strong, vocal crowd cheering their team on, the home side should finish the weekend satisfied.’
- ‘He was superb, netting all three goals for the home side.’
- ‘He popped up just in time to spare the blushes of the floundering home side.’
- ‘In the second half, focus switched to the home side's defence.’
- ‘A second consecutive defeat has severely dented Oxford's promotion hopes, despite the home side's scoring an early goal.’
- ‘She was rooting for her home team all the way.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.