One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the UK) the Secretary of State in charge of the Home Office.
- ‘The Home Secretary and the Government say it will cost the taxpayers less by doing this.’
- ‘The Home Secretary bragged to the Labour Party conference this week that we now have more police than ever before.’
- ‘But what is the reaction of our Home Secretary to these tricky questions about free speech?’
- ‘He is close to the Foreign Secretary and former Home Secretary, Jack Straw.’
- ‘The Home Secretary began asking about an application by Kliminowicz for political asylum.’
- ‘The judge said he would recommend to the Home Secretary that all three be deported after serving their sentences.’
- ‘The policy adopted by the Home Secretary is as set out in those documents.’
- ‘It was not policy to reveal the whereabouts of the Home Secretary for security reasons.’
- ‘The Liberal Democrat MEP is calling on the Home Secretary to clarify the situation.’
- ‘But now the Home Secretary has told him to leave the country in 28 days or risk deportation.’
- ‘On that basis, it has been agreed that the Home Secretary will refer the case back to the Parole Board for a fresh review.’
- ‘The Home Secretary seems to have genuinely missed the point of civil liberties.’
- ‘The decision of the Home Secretary was based on the fact that some crimes are so heinous as to justify life imprisonment.’
- ‘The applicant was a Sikh activist whom the Home Secretary had ordered to be deported to India.’
- ‘I think the Home Secretary wants to hang on to his executive powers and not give them up to judges.’
- ‘But the legislation does not allow the Home Secretary to make a British citizen stateless.’
- ‘The Home Secretary has confirmed that the law on corporate manslaughter will, at long last, be changed.’
- ‘The weight of evidence against the Home Secretary now makes it seem unlikely that he can continue to hold on to his Cabinet post.’
- ‘She tackled the unions, but appointed a series of ineffectual liberal Home Secretaries to tackle crime, and they failed.’
- ‘He reported favourably to the new Home Secretary but it was too late.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.