Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A hit that allows the batter to make a complete circuit of the bases and score a run.
- ‘There have been just ten other center fielders who have hit 40 home runs in a single season.’
- ‘It was quite a comedown for a former super star with 446 career major league home runs.’
- ‘Bonds is the only player in major league to have hit 500 home runs and stolen 500 bases.’
- ‘Could you list the top three or four players who have hit the most home runs and stolen the most bases in the same season?’
- ‘Larry had hit a home run in that World Series game and Gromek had been the winning pitcher.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.