Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An area over which an animal or group of animals regularly travels in search of food or mates, and which may overlap with those of neighbouring animals or groups of the same species.
- ‘I knew that leopards were present in small numbers and using very large, overlapping home ranges.’
- ‘African wild dogs in the Serengeti have large overlapping home ranges, with males recruited into the pack and females dispersing as juveniles.’
- ‘They are solitary animals with relatively small home ranges.’
- ‘Males often breed with several females, probably those whose home ranges overlap with their own.’
- ‘Males often have overlapping home ranges and compete for access to estrous females; both males and females are generally solitary.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.