Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The introductory page of a website, typically serving as a table of contents for the site.
- ‘To test how accountable our international statesmen are in this electronic age, the Standard looked up their email addresses and home pages on the internet.’
- ‘There's plenty of interactivity, with message boards, chat rooms, individual home pages and regular polls.’
- ‘Already, most major companies have developed their own home pages on the World Wide Web where the company can offer information about its goods and services.’
- ‘The home page is usually the web page that contains all the initial navigation to your web site.’
- ‘Users will often enter your site from a search engine listing with a link other than your home page.’
- ‘The home page of the club website gives you a chance to find out more about the club's functions and its history.’
- ‘In a very real sense, home pages are portals that can lead customers on a journey of discovery through an e-business's products and services or drop them into a nightmarish abyss of frustration.’
- ‘First off, it is vital that your home page explains in detail the purpose of your website.’
- ‘Although its ambitions for e-government far outstrip its achievements, a number of departments and bureaucracies have established home pages or put databases and archives on the Web.’
- ‘A year earlier the home pages of the FTSE's top 100 companies were savaged for being ‘woefully inadequate’.’
- ‘Children will be invited through their schools to design home pages on citizenship-related issues, such as criminal justice, religion and the environment.’
- ‘The home page incorporates a Google search box, and a news headline feed.’
- ‘Its home page simply features a company logo, and access to the rest of the site is password-protected.’
- ‘The site is clean, not overloaded with distractions, and it doesn't look like a dating site, which is a nice change from the generic excuses for home pages on most dating sites.’
- ‘While much of the content on the older site remains, including search, the focus is now more on personal publishing with blogs and home pages, along with searching for people and groups.’
- ‘The posters feel compelled to link not only to the item of interest, but ALSO to the home page of the web site.’
- ‘Within an hour my email was published on the site with a link to it from the home page of the website… wow.’
- ‘It it sometimes assumed that Unicode is a popular encoding ‘behind the scenes’ but rarely used on the home pages of major corporate Web sites.’
- ‘Outside of a few graduate students and an even smaller number of faculty, researchers in the area do not maintain weblogs or even home pages where their work can be easily accessed.’
- ‘Websites or home pages may be accessed with the aid of a browser program.’
2A web page set as the default or start-up page on a browser.‘I love his site and it's been my home page for years’
- ‘The default home page features a few preselected bookmarks to Facebook, GoodReads, Food Network and a few reference sites.’
- ‘When I open my browser home page it shows several subject topics.’
- ‘Now it's coming to BBC Scotland and I find I'm going to have to change my default home page again.’
- ‘Though I don't have a home page set, the first page in my daily rounds is always the Astronomy Picture of the Day.’
- ‘It is a great way to set up your home page with portals to all the stuff you want to check every day.’
- ‘Changing the default home page or search provider are safer bets than installing the more intrusive security toolbar.’
- ‘The home page of the browser comes with three tabs: Speed Dial, Stash, and Discover.’
- ‘For instance when you try to install the software, this app also installs its toolbar replacing your current browser and home page.’
- ‘If an installer changed your browser's home page and default search engine, you'll have to change those back manually.’
- ‘You could do just the same walking around the city during a week day to see the effects of wireless internet and how even the default home page refuses to load many times.’
- ‘This will be set as the default home page on your browser, replacing what you have set up.’
- ‘The way this promotional strategy works is by turning the default homepage of a web browser into your blog homepage or recent posts page.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.