Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The introductory page of a website, typically serving as a table of contents for the site.
- ‘There's plenty of interactivity, with message boards, chat rooms, individual home pages and regular polls.’
- ‘Within an hour my email was published on the site with a link to it from the home page of the website… wow.’
- ‘A year earlier the home pages of the FTSE's top 100 companies were savaged for being ‘woefully inadequate’.’
- ‘While much of the content on the older site remains, including search, the focus is now more on personal publishing with blogs and home pages, along with searching for people and groups.’
- ‘Children will be invited through their schools to design home pages on citizenship-related issues, such as criminal justice, religion and the environment.’
- ‘Its home page simply features a company logo, and access to the rest of the site is password-protected.’
- ‘The home page incorporates a Google search box, and a news headline feed.’
- ‘In a very real sense, home pages are portals that can lead customers on a journey of discovery through an e-business's products and services or drop them into a nightmarish abyss of frustration.’
- ‘It it sometimes assumed that Unicode is a popular encoding ‘behind the scenes’ but rarely used on the home pages of major corporate Web sites.’
- ‘Although its ambitions for e-government far outstrip its achievements, a number of departments and bureaucracies have established home pages or put databases and archives on the Web.’
- ‘Users will often enter your site from a search engine listing with a link other than your home page.’
- ‘The home page is usually the web page that contains all the initial navigation to your web site.’
- ‘The home page of the club website gives you a chance to find out more about the club's functions and its history.’
- ‘Outside of a few graduate students and an even smaller number of faculty, researchers in the area do not maintain weblogs or even home pages where their work can be easily accessed.’
- ‘The posters feel compelled to link not only to the item of interest, but ALSO to the home page of the web site.’
- ‘Already, most major companies have developed their own home pages on the World Wide Web where the company can offer information about its goods and services.’
- ‘To test how accountable our international statesmen are in this electronic age, the Standard looked up their email addresses and home pages on the internet.’
- ‘The site is clean, not overloaded with distractions, and it doesn't look like a dating site, which is a nice change from the generic excuses for home pages on most dating sites.’
- ‘Websites or home pages may be accessed with the aid of a browser program.’
- ‘First off, it is vital that your home page explains in detail the purpose of your website.’
2A web page set as the default or start-up page on a browser.‘I love his site and it's been my home page for years’
- ‘The home page of the browser comes with three tabs: Speed Dial, Stash, and Discover.’
- ‘This will be set as the default home page on your browser, replacing what you have set up.’
- ‘When I open my browser home page it shows several subject topics.’
- ‘Changing the default home page or search provider are safer bets than installing the more intrusive security toolbar.’
- ‘Though I don't have a home page set, the first page in my daily rounds is always the Astronomy Picture of the Day.’
- ‘Now it's coming to BBC Scotland and I find I'm going to have to change my default home page again.’
- ‘If an installer changed your browser's home page and default search engine, you'll have to change those back manually.’
- ‘You could do just the same walking around the city during a week day to see the effects of wireless internet and how even the default home page refuses to load many times.’
- ‘For instance when you try to install the software, this app also installs its toolbar replacing your current browser and home page.’
- ‘The way this promotional strategy works is by turning the default homepage of a web browser into your blog homepage or recent posts page.’
- ‘It is a great way to set up your home page with portals to all the stuff you want to check every day.’
- ‘The default home page features a few preselected bookmarks to Facebook, GoodReads, Food Network and a few reference sites.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.