One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A film made at home or without professional equipment or expertise.
- ‘Yet, it is as familiar as the home movies that make up virtually every frame of the film.’
- ‘I've seen home movies shot with better camera technique and style.’
- ‘Watching a film full of someone else's home movies does not sound particularly enticing.’
- ‘Intercut are snatches of a home movie, showing mother and child looking happy.’
- ‘These are home movies shot by Chaplin for Lord Mountbatten.’
- ‘This essay is primarily concerned with the recontextualisation and representation of home movies in these films.’
- ‘As Aspell says, the film seemed like a surreal home movie re-enacted by Hollywood stars.’
- ‘The home movies are interesting (they always are), yet today's craggy faces pall all too quickly and it's very much an old scene.’
- ‘I've seen home movies from when my dad was a kid in the 1940s and '50s that looked better.’
- ‘Much of his personal history is mysterious, in spite of his frequent use of himself and his family and their history via photos and home movies in his films.’
- ‘Micheline Morisset, archivist at the National Archives has persuasively argued for the need to preserve home movies.’
- ‘William speaks fondly of his father, and even gives us a glimpse of his home life via some rare home movies.’
- ‘It has its charm, I suppose, but is roughly the equivalent of watching someone else's home movies.’
- ‘All he had was a collection of nicely shot home movies that hardly made a point.’
- ‘‘You think this is an art house film looking like a home movie,’ he says.’
- ‘Lisa Gossels narrates the film as though she is making a home movie, and ultimately that's what she has accomplished.’
- ‘And in the future, when individuals film home movies and want to share them with relatives halfway around the world, Sony plans to be there, too.’
- ‘It was part of a trilogy on Russian history, reconstructing the past through newsreel footage and the home movies of the Romanov dynasty who ruled Russia before 1917.’
- ‘Without the Friedmans' home movies, this film couldn't have existed.’
- ‘Interviews with Ravel's friends are combined with home movies and stills and some unique and dazzling directorial strategies.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.