One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A film made at home or without professional equipment or expertise.
- ‘Micheline Morisset, archivist at the National Archives has persuasively argued for the need to preserve home movies.’
- ‘All he had was a collection of nicely shot home movies that hardly made a point.’
- ‘Intercut are snatches of a home movie, showing mother and child looking happy.’
- ‘As Aspell says, the film seemed like a surreal home movie re-enacted by Hollywood stars.’
- ‘I've seen home movies from when my dad was a kid in the 1940s and '50s that looked better.’
- ‘Interviews with Ravel's friends are combined with home movies and stills and some unique and dazzling directorial strategies.’
- ‘Much of his personal history is mysterious, in spite of his frequent use of himself and his family and their history via photos and home movies in his films.’
- ‘I've seen home movies shot with better camera technique and style.’
- ‘‘You think this is an art house film looking like a home movie,’ he says.’
- ‘These are home movies shot by Chaplin for Lord Mountbatten.’
- ‘Watching a film full of someone else's home movies does not sound particularly enticing.’
- ‘Without the Friedmans' home movies, this film couldn't have existed.’
- ‘The home movies are interesting (they always are), yet today's craggy faces pall all too quickly and it's very much an old scene.’
- ‘Yet, it is as familiar as the home movies that make up virtually every frame of the film.’
- ‘And in the future, when individuals film home movies and want to share them with relatives halfway around the world, Sony plans to be there, too.’
- ‘William speaks fondly of his father, and even gives us a glimpse of his home life via some rare home movies.’
- ‘It was part of a trilogy on Russian history, reconstructing the past through newsreel footage and the home movies of the Romanov dynasty who ruled Russia before 1917.’
- ‘It has its charm, I suppose, but is roughly the equivalent of watching someone else's home movies.’
- ‘Lisa Gossels narrates the film as though she is making a home movie, and ultimately that's what she has accomplished.’
- ‘This essay is primarily concerned with the recontextualisation and representation of home movies in these films.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.