One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
plural nounNorth American
Fried sliced potatoes.
- ‘He orders New York steak, rare, two eggs, poached, and home fries.’
- ‘A hiker requires calories, and I have saved up breakfast for just this moment: an oval platter of peameal bacon, home fries, eggs and toast appears on the counter, fresh from the grill.’
- ‘They ended up at a diner, where Eric ordered scrambled eggs, and Brian had the Breakfast Combo, fried eggs with bacon, sausage and home fries.’
- ‘These are followed by a choice of bistro style sandwiches, and then sausages with home fries, potato salad or French-fries.’
- ‘The menu for the brunch includes hot cakes, sausage, home fries, scrambled eggs, biscuits 'n sausage gravy, meat loaf, potato casserole, fresh fruit, pastries and beverage.’
- ‘Fries were also ho-hum - better to choose the buttery mashed potatoes or crispy home fries.’
- ‘When the waiter came I asked if the omelettes came with home fries.’
- ‘It is a big English style breakfast with eggs, back bacon, sausage, tomatoes, home fries, toast and tea or coffee refills.’
- ‘The chicken is served with a choice of home fries, baked potatoes or rice and black beans.’
- ‘The side of home fries was abandoned after the first forkful.’
- ‘I had a Mexican omelet, which was somewhat good, although I would have liked hash browns instead of home fries.’
- ‘My dish came with home fries, which I expected would be homemade French fries, but discovered are in fact a dish of boiled and diced potatoes, fried in a skillet with onions.’
- ‘The diner was crowded requiring a relatively long wait but my breakfast was near perfect - good OJ and coffee, unblemished scrambled eggs, hot tasty home fries, warm biscuits and bacon exactly as ordered.’
- ‘She set a plate of scrambled eggs, sausage, and home fries down in front of me.’
- ‘‘I'll have a triple stack of pancakes with a side of bacon, toast, and home fries,’ said Brack, eyeing me deviously.’
- ‘Along with rice, it was served with a salad and home-fried potatoes, which he found really good with some smoky salsa.’
- ‘I'm not much of a pancake eater anyway, and it's really hard to mess up eggs and home fries.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.