Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Made at home, rather than in a shop or factory.‘home-made bread’
- ‘Organic meats and home-made bread are staples of the daily changing menu.’
- ‘You even get home-made scones for breakfast, along with the freshest country eggs I have ever tasted.’
- ‘It was a slice of bread, with home-made plum jam, and a glass of skimmed milk.’
- ‘We'd have this with a home-made steak pie or black sausage.’
- ‘Three men were being questioned by police last night after home-made bombs were found at a flat near Gatwick airport.’
- ‘The pudding menu changes daily to accommodate a repertoire of home-made ice creams, cakes and pastries.’
- ‘In the time it takes to reheat a ready-made meal, you can put a home-made soup, smart pasta dish or a risotto on the table.’
- ‘As well as a tearoom with home-made food, there will be a gift shop with original crafts, artwork and garden gifts.’
- ‘Creating home-made greeting cards is increasingly turning into a popular hobby.’
- ‘The pigeon and bacon terrine was clearly home-made, crumbly and well-flavoured.’
- ‘They might be home-made, but these boys' toys can wreak dreadful damage.’
- ‘The toddlers had paid to decorate home-made buns - and enjoyed eating them too.’
- ‘His mum sent him off with clean clothes and a tin of home-made scones.’
- ‘A selection of home-made chutneys, pickles, cakes and pastries will be on offer.’
- ‘After all the excitement Grandad decided that we deserved some more home-made wine to calm the nerves.’
- ‘We always have a minimum of two vegetarian dishes on our starter and main-course choices, all of which are home-made.’
- ‘Goods on sale included meat, organic trout, home-made cakes, plants and cheese.’
- ‘The home-made bread is a treat, the wine list is the work of a born explorer, and the desserts are spectacular.’
- ‘We couldn't resist the home-made bread and butter pudding and the rhubarb and ginger crumble.’
- ‘Tony was also given a few easy and quick recipes, such as a healthy stir-fry and a home-made salad dressing.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.