One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Water blessed by a priest and used in religious ceremonies.
- ‘Father Fingleton blessed the audience and building with holy water and congratulated the club for their work.’
- ‘The happy couple received the traditional pouring of holy water by family, friends and many well-wishers.’
- ‘A revered monk sprinkles holy water on the gathered masses bringing in the New Year in South Pattaya.’
- ‘There will be monks blessing ceremonies in the morning, and the pouring of holy water on the palms of the elderly.’
- ‘The grave was then dug, if this had not already been done, and sanctified by a priest with holy water and incense.’
- ‘To begin with, when you first come into church, bless yourself with holy water.’
- ‘She had asked me to anoint him with holy water, even though I wasn't Roman Catholic.’
- ‘On the morning of the fourth day we went to divine service together, were all and equally blessed and sprinkled with holy water.’
- ‘Buildings, offices and factories are seldom opened for use without the blessing of the priest with his holy water.’
- ‘I raised the flask of holy water to his lips and let him drink.’
- ‘Once inside the basilica, John Paul's body was placed on a platform before the main altar and was again blessed with holy water and incense.’
- ‘She blessed herself with holy water before walking out of the church.’
- ‘A priest sprinkles holy water on an infant's head, chanting as he does so.’
- ‘On this day, churchgoers often take a bottle of holy water to their homes, where it is kept until the following year.’
- ‘Mass begins with the archbishop walking through the aisles, sprinkling holy water left and right.’
- ‘A priest comes to the house to bless it with holy water and incense.’
- ‘Bradley held the crucifix in one hand and sprinkled holy water on the altar.’
- ‘The coffin is then lowered into the grave, and soil sprinkled with holy water is tossed on top of the coffin.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.