One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1(chiefly in the Roman Catholic Church) Maundy Thursday.
- ‘One Holy Thursday the church lady asked me if I'd come up from my pew and have my feet washed.’
- ‘On Holy Thursday morning, housewives, when they heard the ringing of church bells, used to take pots from the stove and place them on the floor, making the sign of the cross.’
- ‘On Holy Thursday the Mass on the Lords supper was celebrated with very large numbers attending.’
- ‘Preach on the subject of feet for Holy Thursday.’
- ‘On Holy Thursday, April 20, community groups throughout the diocese will bring water to their church from local sources.’
- ‘All Trócaire boxes to be returned on Holy Thursday.’
- ‘The solemn commemoration of the Lord's Supper on Holy Thursday was held in Nurney Church where twelve parishioners partook in the ceremony of washing the feet.’
- ‘All organisations who serve the community are invited to be represented at the evening Mass on Holy Thursday at 8 p.m., and a reminder to every household to have their Trocaire boxes ready for Good Friday.’
- ‘To date the attendance has been fantastic and this novena will run until Holy Thursday.’
- ‘On Holy Thursday, Mass of the Last Supper will be at 8.30 pm with adoration until 10 pm.’
- ‘On Holy Thursday, the King of England would wash the feet of the poor - one poor person per year of the king's age.’
- ‘Relatively short by this pope's standards, the new encyclical, issued this past Holy Thursday, is unique in its personal tone and urgency.’
- ‘This Holy Thursday evening Mass of the Lord's Supper will be celebrated at 8.15 pm.’
- ‘Mass of the Last Supper will be offered on Holy Thursday at 7.30.’
- ‘The Holy Thursday ceremonies included Mass of the Lords Supper, during which volunteers from the community came forward to have their hands washed.’
- ‘Easter ceremonies began on Holy Thursday in the Parish Church and as usual there was a large gathering.’
2dated (in the Anglican Church) Ascension Day.
- ‘There will be no whist drive on Holy Thursday night due to church ceremonies.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.