Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The Saturday preceding Easter Sunday. Also called Easter Eve or Easter Saturday.
- ‘Easter is a week-long observance of strict religious rituals culminating in Good Friday, a midnight mass on Holy Saturday, and a mass at dawn on Easter Sunday.’
- ‘The Easter Vigil Mass on Holy Saturday is at 9.00 p.m.’
- ‘The vigil on Holy Saturday was well over three hours.’
- ‘The Easter ceremonies on Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Holy Saturday were very well attended.’
- ‘On Holy Saturday the Easter Vigil (including Mass) will be celebrated in Allenwood Church at 9 pm.’
- ‘There was the Good Friday service, a trip to confession on Holy Saturday and, of course, Mass on Easter Sunday.’
- ‘At Easter the tradition is to consume food blessed on Holy Saturday.’
- ‘On Holy Saturday the Vigil Mass is at 9p.m. and Masses on Easter Sunday are at the usual times.’
- ‘Preparing music for Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday and Easter Sunday masses took the entire afternoon and most of the night.’
- ‘Preparations for Holy Saturday were made well in advance.’
- ‘Thus Good Friday was the day when Jesus was crucified, Holy Saturday when he stayed in the tomb and Easter Sunday when he resurrected.’
- ‘The Easter Vigil Mass on Holy Saturday at 9 p.m. will include blessing of the new fire of Easter and the new Easter candle.’
- ‘The Vigil of Easter liturgy held yearly on Holy Saturday in my former campus congregation always is a special occasion.’
- ‘There were good attendances on Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Holy Saturday in all three churches as the faithful made the journey with Christ through His suffering and death and finally His resurrection.’
- ‘The Resurrection, the climax of Holy Week, is celebrated at the end of Holy Saturday.’
- ‘The Easter Vigil Mass is at 8.30p.m. on Holy Saturday and Masses on Easter Sunday will be at the usual times of 10a.m. and 12 noon and 11a.m. in Craggagh.’
- ‘They also observe other standard holidays of the Christian calendar, including Good Friday, Holy Saturday, Easter Monday, Ascension, and Whitmonday.’
- ‘Clergy and lay members of the United Church of Christ met on Holy Saturday to draft a statement.’
- ‘There were large congregations at the Easter Ceremonies on last weekend, Holy Thursday, good Friday, Holy Saturday and Easter Sunday.’
- ‘When I look at this icon, I think of the words of Christ in an ancient Greek homily for Holy Saturday: ‘I am your God, who for your sake have become your son.’’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.