One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The day on which the feast of the Invention of the Cross is held, 3 May.
- ‘After refection or dinner, which, from Easter till Holy Rood Day, was at twelve o'clock, the meridian or noon-sleep was permitted.’
- ‘In Hemyock itself a revel was held the Sunday after Holy Rood Day.’
- ‘As the grain was threshed and the fields winnowed, orchards were also harvested, and on Holy Rood Day it was traditional to go nutting.’
- ‘This is also Holy Rood Day, commemorating the rescue of the relic of the True Cross by Emperor Heraclius of Constantinople when it was carried off by Chosroes II, King of Persia in 614.’
2another term for Holy Cross Day
- ‘The 14th September 1128 was Holy Rood Day.’
- ‘This day is also called the Exaltation of the Cross, Elevation of the Cross, Holy Cross Day, Holy Rood Day, or Roodmas.’
- ‘In earlier days in the Church of England, this feast was called "Holy Rood Day," since "rood" means "cross."’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.