One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of an evangelical Christian group which expresses religious fervour by frenzied excitement or trances.‘holy rollers writhing on the floor’
- ‘He can work himself into a holy roller's lather on his motivational tapes, but in person he's reassuringly low-key, with an undercurrent of no-nonsense intensity.’
- ‘Their programs are widely regarded within the community, but it isn't a place where the holy rollers and people who expect an old fashioned Babtist ceremony would go.’
- ‘I'm not condemning her for that at all, but I just have to explain that that is why I quit being such a holy roller.’
- ‘At his party conferences, he's appeared sometimes like a kind of holy roller figure, sometimes like a rather earnest vicar.’
- ‘Let's face it, we are constantly hearing from the holy rollers with their reassuring message that miracles do happen.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.