One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A city held sacred by the adherents of a religion.
- ‘Revenues from the pilgrimage to the two holy cities of Mecca and Medina were falling as pilgrim numbers dwindled.’
- ‘Mecca is the holy city of Islam because it is where the prophet Mohammed first preached his teachings from God.’
- ‘Thus, Christians felt they had to free the holy city from Muslim control.’
- ‘Until the discovery of oil it was a poor desert state whose only wealth came from the pilgrimages to the holy cities of Mecca and Medina.’
- ‘Pilgrimage was a regular feature for us, because to vacation in the hills of Musoorie and Simla, one had to pass these holy cities.’
- ‘And Friday is the first day of the Shiite religious festival of Arbayeen, which will bring hundreds of thousands of Shiite pilgrims to the Iraqi holy cities of Najaf and Karbala.’
- ‘Haridwar is one of the seven holy cities of India.’
- ‘Inside the holy city there is no place for blame and accusation.’
- ‘The gospels record two occasions when Jesus wept: at the tomb of Lazarus and when he saw the holy city Jerusalem.’
- ‘However, Salt Lake City is a holy city for Mormons, and the Black Hills of South Dakota and other places are sacred native American sites.’
- ‘Only two years before, the holy city of Makkah had been peacefully taken over and had been cleansed of idolatry and all evil practices.’
- ‘Pressed to name the world's most visited holy cities, one might think of Mecca or Jerusalem.’
- ‘Most Pakistani Americans are devout Muslims, who pray five times a day facing the direction of the holy city of Mecca.’
- ‘The fifth Pillar is the Hajj, the pilgrimage to the holy city of Mecca in Saudi Arabia, which every Muslim must make at some time in his or her life.’
- ‘Today most pilgrims come to see the pope and are only dimly aware of the relics of saints that are to be found in churches scattered throughout the holy city.’
- ‘Something about his efforts to clean up the holy city has drawn him closer to Krishna.’
- ‘The pilgrims are expected to visit the holy city of Mecca, which is regarded as one of the most revered religious destinations on Earth.’
- ‘The final pillar, for those who are in good health and can afford to do so, is to make the pilgrimage to the holy city of Mecca.’
- ‘Well it's been a relatively peaceful Easter celebration in the holy city of Jerusalem.’
- 1.1 Jerusalem.
- 1.2 (in Christian tradition) Heaven.
- ‘We are further emboldened in our outreach by John's vision of the Holy City of God.’
- ‘Around Zion, the Holy City where God our Father sits on the throne, is an area called paradise.’
- ‘As Christ descends he raises all the righteous dead, and with the living saints they ascend to the Holy City in heaven.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.